Friday, February 3, 2006

Fallujah: Glad I'm not there

I got little perspective lesson this week.

Periodically, my knee hurts. It hurts now. This problem originated in a pick-up football game in high school, when Dan gave me a cheap block in retaliation for something he thought I'd done earlier.

I haven't seen Dan for decades, but I think of him more often than I do most of my classmates. I don't think of him in a hostile way -- after all, we co-edited the school newspaper during and after this incident -- but I can't forget him.

He didn't make our reunion because he was preparing to go to Iraq at the START of the war. Now, I see from a posting he made on another alumni's obituary, he's STILL in Fallujah. Either he's on his second stint, or he's been there a long time.

Either way, I felt silly feeling sorry for myself with minor knee pain when he's in a combat zone.

Come back safe, Dan.

No comments: