Thursday, January 29, 2004

Adopting a journalist?

Wired News reports “Some politically minded bloggers find a new way to keep themselves busy this campaign season: They "adopt" a journalist and track his or her every keystroke.” (by Noah Shachtman). 

Wow. That’s a lot of work. Somebody like Eric Zorn writes several columns a week, plus a blog. The Wired writer, Schachtman, isn’t suitable either. He’s done 227 other Wired stories.

I’d want to track somebody who didn’t write so much.

Somebody dead, so they can't suddenly go all productive on me.

I could find somebody being tracked by other people. So, I could comment about their commentary.

I wouldn’t want to do it on my own time. And, I wouldn’t want to do it where I had to hide the activity from my employer. Ideally, I’d like to get paid for this. That would be cool.

I’d like this job to be respected. I know the people I’m writing about just used regular names, but I’d like to be called .... Professor.

I guess this explains why academic jobs in the humanities are hard to get, even though the pay is low.

 

No comments: