Monday, March 20, 2006

I Guess I Deserved This

I made two picks in the NCAA office pool. The first one was my legitimate selection -- pretty standard with some upsets thrown in because there are 45 entrants in the pool and only 3 winners.  If you pick only favorites, you get an above-average score, but still $0.

The other pick I named "Bush_In_Iraq" and figured I'd make a political point. Our policy in Iraq is such a longshot that I picked all longshots: #16 to beat #1, etc. Above that, I picked the service academy (Air Force).  But, trumping other rules, I picked Texas teams (Texas A&M and Texas), with nothing messing up Texas's march to the national championship.  I figured "Bush_In_Iraq" would be right there at the bottom of the standings.

So, what's happening? My true pick is not doing well. I've been hovering in the lower half of the standings, and though I've risen to 24th of 45 that's still hopeless.

"Bush_In_Iraq" has been as high as 4th and currently is in 9th. If Texas wins it all, there's an outside chance of getting in the money. I've promised to donate it to "Billiionaires for Bush".

The moral?  Don't try to make a political point with sports.

No comments: