Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fr. James A. DeManuele, C.P. -- R.I.P.

One of my fellow high school seminarians -- one of the few who made it through and became lifetime priests -- died of cancer earlier this month.

Jim was a year behind me in the minor seminary. Everybody has a few Jim DeManuele stories, and they are all fun to tell. That is (part of) his legacy.


My early Jim DeManuele story concerns a guitar I was given by the optimistic nuns in my parish. I struggled mightily with this because it was a gift and because I thought it would be a good thing to learn, but had neither talent nor real enjoyment in the experience.

Freshman Jim, searching for a prop for whatever story he was acting out at that moment, grabbed my guitar, shouted "El Kabong!" and slammed it down. Then the repeat: "El Kabong!" and another slam, until the guitar was nothing but a few shattered pieces.

I was somewhere between angry, horrified and relieved. While I was choosing which emotion to bring to the fore, Jim disappeared.

Still can't play the guitar.

No comments: